We are pleased to offer a Rapid Access Skin Cancer Services to patients with concerning skin lesions.
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer. It is also one of the most preventable.
- One in every three cancers diagnosed worldwide is a skin cancer, 80-90% of which are caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
- Over 80,000 cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in Canada each year, more than 5,000 of these are melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
- Canadians born in the 1990s have 2-3 times higher risk of getting skin cancer in their lifetimes (1 in 6 people) than those born in the 1960s (1 in 20).
- There are more new cases of skin cancer each year than the number of breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers COMBINED.
Skin cancer is caused by overexposure to UV radiation. The most common sources of UV radiation on the skin are the sun and artificial tanning beds. Though skin cancer is preventable and most often treatable, it remains the most common form of cancer.
According to Fraser Institute of Canada, Specialist physicians surveyed report a median waiting time of 19.8 weeks between referral from a general practitioner and receipt of treatment*. Research has repeatedly indicated that wait times for medically necessary treatment are not benign inconveniences.
We offer following services
- Assessment and management of precancerous and skin cancer lesions ( pigmented and non-pigmented)
- Non-MSP covered excision of benign lesions such as lipomas, scars, sebaceous cyst etc.
Ask your Family Physician for a referral
If you need to know more, please follow these links:
- Skin Cancer and Self-Exam: Patients are Recommended to Check their Skin for Changes
- Cancer management guidelines to Melanoma
- Basal cell carcinoma – the least dangerous skin cancer type
- Waiting Your Turn: Wait Times for Health Care in Canada, 2018 Report
iHealthMD Family Physicians took an initiative to obtain additional competencies in Skin Cancer Medicine. Currently, six physicians from our group have either completed or near completion of the Skin Cancer Medicine training program from Australia (HealthCert) in addition to previous extensive surgical experience.
Our facility has a dedicated procedure room. To ensure timely booking and smooth care we have an assigned Skin Centre coordinator, who processes referrals, bookings, pathology reports tracking and reporting back to the referring doctors. We strive to accommodate referred patients within 2 weeks for a regular service and within 48 hours for an urgent matter. Our clinic is located at 403-1200 Lonsdale Ave and open 6 days a week.
Our Team is currently accepting referrals
Dr. Inna Fadyeyeva, CCFP, Diploma of Practical Dermatology (Cardiff, UK), Professional Certificate of Dermoscopy, pending completion of the Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine, Australia. She has been providing consultations and skin disorders management by referrals in the Lower Mainland for the last 9 years. She has extensive experience in diagnostics and treatment of skin cancers. She has been exploring novel technologies and being an active educator for other family physicians in training.
Dr Aaron Goldstein, CCFP, FRACGP, Dip Skin Cancer Medicine) has spent seven years practicing dermato-oncology in Cairns, Australia and has over 12 years of skin cancer experience working in the sun cancer capital of the world on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. In that time he has performed thousands of skin checks, biopsies and excisions on the face and body. He is an expert in the management of actinic keratoses and the non-melanoma skin cancers offering both conservative and surgical treatment options where appropriate. He is adept at dermatoscopy, photo cataloging moles, mole surveillance and removal of suspicious pigmented lesions of the skin. He is also skilled at minor cosmetic (non-MSP privately paid) surgery including mole removals, sebaceous cyst removals, lipoma removals, scrotal calcinoses, skin tags, as well as other lumps and bumps.
Dr. Armine Galstyan, CCFP, Professional Cert. of Skin Cancer Medicine, Australia
Attention referring physicians
Please, use attached referral form. Should you require a PDF format or paper pad for referrals, please, let us know. We are looking forward to assisting you in the management of your patients with concerning skin lesions.