We are pleased to offer a Rapid Access Skin Care Services to patients with concerning skin lesions.
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer. It is also one of the most preventable.
- One in every three cancers diagnosed worldwide is a skin cancer, 80-90% of which are caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
- Over 80,000 cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in Canada each year, more than 5,000 of these are melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
- Canadians born in the 1990s have 2-3 times higher risk of getting skin cancer in their lifetimes (1 in 6 people) than those born in the 1960s (1 in 20).
- There are more new cases of skin cancer each year than the number of breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers COMBINED.
Skin cancer is caused by overexposure to UV radiation. The most common sources of UV radiation on the skin are the sun and artificial tanning beds. Though skin cancer is preventable and most often treatable, it remains the most common form of cancer.
According to Fraser Institute of Canada, Specialist physicians surveyed report a median waiting time of 19.8 weeks between referral from a general practitioner and receipt of treatment*. Research has repeatedly indicated that wait times for medically necessary treatment are not benign inconveniences.
iHealthMD Family Physicians took an initiative to obtain additional competencies in Skin Cancer Medicine. Currently, six physicians from our group have either completed or near completion of the Skin Cancer Medicine training program from Australia (HealthCert) in addition to a previous extensive surgical experience.
Our services include:
- Assessment and management of precancerous and cancerous skin lesions ( pigmented and non pigmented)
- Non-MSP covered excision of benign lesions such as lipomas, scars, sebaceous cyst etc.
Ask your Family Physician for a referral.
If you need to know more, please follow these links: